Newcastle Historic Reserve Trust

Goals

The Lock-Up is managed and administered by the Newcastle Historic Reserve Trust, a community trust under the Crown Lands Act of 1989, for the preservation and public use of the historic buildings of Hunter Street Newcastle.

The Department of Land and Water Conservation provides Crown Land for public purposes. It has established the Trust as a statutory corporation charged with the care, control and management of three buildings in the Newcastle Hunter Street Heritage Precinct; the Lock-Up (formerly known as the Newcastle Police Station, circa 1861), the former Telegraph Office (circa 1861) and the former Public Works Department (circa 1872). The buildings are part of the historic precinct bounded by Watt and Bolton Streets.



Through corporate leasing of the separate historic buildings, the Lock-Up provides a community resource with student and cultural programs and regular hours for public access to the museum, education centre and gallery.

Contact Details

Premises 90 Hunter Street, Newcastle, NSW, 2300

Postal Address PO Box 101 Newcastle, NSW 2300

Phone 02 4925 2265

Email info@thelockup.info

Meeting Dates

Wednesday - Sunday 10AM - 4PM

Activities

The Lock-Up was the Newcastle Police Station from 1861 until its closure in 1982. Listed in the NSW Heritage Register, the Lock-Up is believed to be the only example in NSW that includes the work of three of the State’s important early architects; Alexander Dawson, Mortimer Lewis Jnr. and Walter Vernon.

Constructed in Sydney sandstone, the building is one of a row of four significant buildings that reflect the prosperity of early Newcastle. The Lock-Up now functions as a cultural centre housing a contemporary art gallery and artist residency as well as the heritage listed prison cells.

Affiliations

See the website

Website

http://thelockup.info/

Research Facilities

Refer to our website

Gallery